Saturday, June 20, 2009

Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man far better than through mortal friends.

Matt and I LOVE to read! Almost every night we climb into bed and grab our books and read a few chapters before turning off the lights. Since reading is such a big part of our lives we thought we should share what's on our reading list.

Courtney
Currently I am reading "What to Expect The First Year". About a month ago I started stressing about knowing nothing when it came to taking care of children. I think every parent goes through it at some point, right? Well, I went out and bought this most informative baby book. It takes you through every month with developmental details and answers concerned questions. It's a wonderful book and I am learning from it. It's funny for me to see how much I already knew, since I work with children. But reading this book has given me a lot of confidence that I'll know what to do when we have a child. I'm about half way through it right now. I'll finish reading the 6 month milestone today.

My last book was "First Family" by David Baldacci. A really great book! Baldacci is one of my most favorite authors. I have read all but one of his books. This story is a continuation of the King and Maxwell series. Sean King and Michelle Maxwell are two ex Secret Services workers who now run their own private investigating practice. They are hired by the First Lady to find her missing niece. It twists and turns and you're not sure at the end of the book who really is the bad guy. I mean you find out who did it, but...well, I won't spoil it for you. I'm not sure that Baldacci will continue with this series. He ended the book so beautifully, it just completes the story of King and Maxwell. I can't wait for his next book, whatever characters he decides to use!

I think that my next book is going to have to be "Lord of the Rings, Return of the King". I've read the first two this year but I needed a break since it is a very intense story. It's a long and slow read... I love the movies and enjoy reading the story because I'm getting so much more out of it. But it is very tedious. Once I finish "What to Expect" I'm going to buckle down and finish the saga.

Matt
Ok so I have read a few books this past month.

Liberty and Tyranny A Conservative Manifesto by Mark R. Levin:

During this time of where it seams to me that common sense has been disregarded, and replaced by madness, it discusses the progressive movement and how that movement has destroyed our liberty's as Americans. In the end Mr. Levin talks about some ways that we can reverse the liberty's lost and help preserve this great country of ours.

Odd Hours by Dean Koontz:

The fourth book in the Odd Thomas saga, about a young fry cook that can see dead people who have not moved on and he tries to help them, he can not talk to them because the dead can not talk, so he has to try to help them. I have enjoyed each one, the third book seamed to have run the course, so I was not sure if I want to invest my time to a bad book so I waited until it came out in paperback at Sam's Cub. I was pleasantly surprised but how well the storied played out. With Odd on trying to stop a madman from smuggling and detonating nuclear bombs on US soil, while helping Mr. Blue Eye's Frank Sinatra move on, and while he did not end the series, I am happy with the ending.

The Third Revelation by Ralph McInerny:

This is a ok book, it's about the Catholicism and the story of Our Lady of Fatima, the attempted assassination of Pope John Paul II, the CIA, and the Former USSR and the KGB. Since I am not a Catholic I am talking the information provided in the book as fact, and it has a good plot line and some interesting twist, with the conclusion tying everything up nicely by the end. I would not read it again and will place it in my book case to be given to someone else to read.

I don't know what book I will start reading next! any suggestions???

1 comments:

Tiffany Meagan said...

http://dragonfliesintheattic.blogspot.com/

This is our new web address. I had to change it because it's not just us and mason any more... Just wanted to let you know so that you didn't think we just dissapeared!